Orange Infused Granola
This recipe is inspired by a pal I met through IG! Nourish by Rebecca is based in Kelso. For those of you who don’t know where that is, it’s the Scottish borders. About 4 hours drive south of where Mr Fab Food is from and where my youngest sister-in-law is from. Rebecca is also an alum of the Academy of Culinary NutritionCulinary Nutrition Expert Program!! Small world, right?
When I came across one of her yummy offerings on IG I commented that I wished I could try some and too bad it would not likely survive shipping from the UK all the way here! Enter my mother in law, who was coming to visit for March Break. Rebecca sent some of her fantastic Fig, Orange Oat & Seed bars by post to my MIL’s house so she could pack them in her suitcase and deliver them to me!! How amazing is that!?!
Well, I devoured them! The next time the girls ran out of granola I decided I wanted to try and make some for them that would resemble the flavours Rebecca has in these bars! It’s not quite the same because I will only be adding chopped fruit for serving rather than packing it all together to make a bar, but I think it’s close!! I tweaked a recipe I already had and used inspiration from Rebecca’s bars for flavour! I’ve added some power-house seeds for added Culinary Nutrition benefits – sesame for calcium, hemp, flax and chia for omega-3s and protein! Try it and let me know what you think!!
- 2 C (500 ml) rolled oats
- 1 C (250ml) steel cut oats
- 1/3 C (80 ml) sliced almonds
- 1/4 C (60 ml) shredded coconut
- 1/4 C (60 ml) raw sunflower seeds
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) hemp hearts
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) ground flax
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) pepitas
- 3Tbsp (45ml) chia seeds
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) sesame seeds
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Apple Pie Spice or cinnamon
- 1Tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/8 tsp Sea Salt (or to taste)
- 2/3 C (150 ml) honey (melted) or pure maple syrup
- 2Tbsp (45ml) coconut oil (melted)
- 2-3 drops Sweet orange oil (if you don’t have an edible orange oil, use orange extract to taste)
- 2/3 C (160 ml) dried fruit of choice (chopped figs, raisins, cranberries, goji berries etc)
1.Preheat oven to 325° F (160° C).
2.Stir together oats, almonds, coconut, sunflower seeds, hemp hearts, ground flax, pepitas, chia, sesame, Apple Pie Spice, coconut sugar and salt in a large mixing bowl.
3. Heat honey (or maple syrup) and coconut oil in a saucepan until liquid. Mix orange oil (or extract) into honey. Pour over granola mixture and stir until very well combined.
4.Spread granola on Sheet Pan lined with silicone liner or parchment paper.
5.Bake for 15–20 minutes and stir. Continue to bake 10-15 minutes more depending on your oven until lightly golden and fragrant. Don’t overcook!
6.Cool completely on Sheet Pan. Stir in dried fruit.
Store in airtight container. Double or triple the batch if you want and you can freeze it for later.
Be sure to cool completely before storing. If it continues to cool in the container, condensation may develop and can result in your granola spoiling.